Giardino dei Giusti
via Alloro, 80
This garden, previously known as the Bay Leaf Garden, once featured a monumental bay leaf tree, uprooted in 1704. Today, the Giardino dei Giusti is configured as an open space surrounded by the remains of the city walls bombed in WWII, a space emulating the medieval Xirbe-Arab-Norman productive gardens created in abandoned urban areas or areas buried in decomposing ruins. Inside the garden stand seven citrus trees. Inspired by the traditional Jardinu Pantesco, unusual roofed gardens typical of the island of Pantelleria, the installation by the London collective Cooking Sections offers a contemporary reinterpretation of open-air shelters created to produce a microclimate, thanks to the breeze facilitated by their shade. At the same time, and in collaboration with agronomists from the University of Palermo, the project is monitoring the health of the trees throughout the period of Manifesta 12.
Giardino dei Giusti is part of the section Garden of Flows of The Planetary Garden. Cultivating Coexistence.