via Butera, 18
Palazzo Butera is located in the historical Kalsa neighbourhood. Although its original structure dates to the end of the 17th century, it did not acquire its current architectural configuration until the mid-18th century. The palace belonged to the noble Branciforte family, who later received an endowment from the Princes of Butera. In 1737, Prince Ercole Michele Branciforte sought permission from the Palermo Senate to build a terrace on Strada dei Cattivi in order to harmonize his building with the two adjacent buildings, which jutted out sixteen palms beyond his. After a fire in 1759 that destroyed much of the interior, the prince initiated an expansion project, renting a palace on Piazza di San Niccolò owned by the Benso family, Dukes of Verdura and purchasing the palace of Francesco Moncada, Count of Caltanissetta. By the end of this work, Palazzo Butera’s monumental size was second only to the Royal Palace of Palermo. In 2015, the palace was acquired by Massimo and Francesca Valsecchi, who initiated a major self-financed restoration.
Palazzo Butera is part of the section Garden of Flows of The Planetary Garden. Cultivating Coexistence, and hosts works by Maria Thereza Alves, Melanie Bonajo, Fallen Fruit, Renato Leotta, Uriel Orlow, and Sergey Sapozhnikov.