via Butera, 24
The building’s principal facade faces the sea and the terrace on Mura delle Cattive, adjacent to the garden of Palazzo Butera. Designed around 1840 by architects Andrea Gigante and Vincenzo Trombetta for Giuseppe Lanza Banciforte, Prince of Trabia, Hôtel Trinacria was the first building in Palermo conceived specifically as a hotel. With its fifty-four elegant rooms each with bath, an elevator (among the first in the city), and a dining room on Mura delle Cattive, the Hotel has hosted illustrious guests, among them Giuseppe Garibaldi. It is in this palazzo that Tomasi di Lampedusa set the final hours of the life of the Gattopardo, Prince of Salina. The building was sold at the end of the 19th century and then, in 1911, transformed into a private residence. Palazzo Trinacria is now owned by the Fondazione Pietro Barbaro, which recently completed restoration work on the two main floors, the courtyard and the terrace overlooking the Mura delle Cattive.
Palazzo Trinacria is part of the section Out of Control Room of The Planetary Garden. Cultivating Coexistence, and hosts a video, Baida, by Taus Makhacheva.